Wednesday 15 January 2014

Memories of an Army Brat - Aman Rehan

Image

Grandmother was invited to a dinner which was held to introduce her to a group of friends from
the Staff College’s student community. The hostess, an American, asked my grandmother, "Are
you an army brat, my dear?”. Taken aback, my grandmother seemed a bit lost for words. Noticing
the discomfiture on her face, the lady laughed and said, “Oh don’t worry, it’s a term of
endearment!". Reassured, my grandmother gave a broad smile, shrugged her shoulders and said,
“Well!".




So, before I embark on a journey down memory lane, let me clarify the meaning of an ‘army brat’.
When I first heard the term, the image that popped up in my mind was that of arrogant children of
reasonable affluence, mostly in their teens, steeped in the belief that the whole world revolved
around them. But this was deceptive. The term actually refers to people who have been born into
a family which is directly related to the armed forces. These children have grown up breathing in
the cantonment air. Not just one cantonment, but a variety of cantonments across the country.

Being an officer in the army, my father gets posted to different places, which means I have to
change schools every year. Walking through the corridors of a new school, amidst a jungle of
unfamiliar faces, has a unique feel. No matter how many times it is repeated, the sensation does
not go away. Goodbyes are even harder. Embracing change and shaking hands with the
unknown is difficult, but that is what army brats do. Elizabeth Brewster writes, "People are made
of places," and this is true in my case as well. Different fragments of my personality are anchored
to my surroundings, which have changed quite frequently.

Being an army brat does have its perks. As a child, sports such as swimming and horse riding
were part of my routine. A cozy home, a park nearby and the tranquil breeze of a cantonment are
just some of the things that I will always cherish. The sounds of reveille at dawn, retreat at dusk
and the ‘last post’ far into the night, are hauntingly beautiful and inspirational. Going to tombolas
at the officer’s club, regimental functions and sports galas are all a part of an army brat’s social
diary.

To top it all off, I get my acne cream for free; that is a perk too, right?

There were other, more somber times when I was waiting anxiously for my father to return home
from a prolonged engagement on the eastern borders, and from operations in Swat. At times like
these, I used to realize that in return for the perks, a lot more is expected from my father and us,
his family.

Patriotism runs in my veins. Trust me, when you have lived in known and unknown corners of
your country, you really cannot help loving it. I have pretty much seen it all. The different shades
of colors, where the Indus and Kabul River mingle with each other and become one, are imprinted
on my mind. This is the place where the land of the five rivers ends and the land of hospitalitybegins. From the beautiful Margalla hills in Islamabad to the hot central Punjab, every patch of
land is sacred to me. Starry skies accompanied by eighteen hours of load shedding in Jalalpur­
Jattan, is on my list of experiences as well. The women in white chaddars in Peshawar form a
contrast to the colorful women in Karachi, each culture unique in its own way. Yes, dear reader,
life for an army brat is anything but monotonous. I have seen places which people usually
visualize from narrations in text books. No wonder my geography teacher was impressed with me!

“Army brat” is a term which is made of two words. The latter is used for someone who is
pampered and spoilt. I am an army brat as well, but like all others of my kind, I have been brought
up in an atmosphere of discipline. Unfortunately, these days, some people have come to view the
Pakistan Army with reservations, but it is they, our fathers, brothers and sisters who are away
from us, that are defending our borders at this very moment. And this, dear reader, should not be
forgotten.

P.S.  A small problem for linguists at the end. My mother is also an army officer. Does that make
me a ‘double army brat’?

3 comments:

  1. Loved the article, a very accurate description indeed. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syed Muhammad Irtiza Wahidi18 January 2014 at 00:13

    Really liked the article. I did not know this term before but now I can also call myself an army brat too. 'Patriotism runs in my veins' was the best line. This gave me a flashback into the beauty of Pakistan Army as I share the same feelings. Love. Respect. Honour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the article. 'Patriotism runs in my veins' was no doubt the best line. Touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete